Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 20:43:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mads Rasmussen <v122mr@tbt.kol.ou.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: printer accounting

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Mads Rasmussen wrote:

> My name is Mads Rasmussen, I am a system maneger at a student residence
> hall in Denmark.

Hello!

> I have some problems implementing printer accounting on our freebsd
> server.
> I have tried finding something like JetAdmin but there doesn't seem to
> be a version avaiable for the freebsd.

No, and it's not necessary either.

> I have also tried experimenting with some scripts run through the
> printcap file but with no luck.
> I wonder if any of you have come across a reasonable solution and would
> like to hear from you. If you are not the rigth people to ask, then
> please give me some pointers as to where I should go.

Accounting is one of those things that really depends on your local
situation and usually involves you writing some scripts to deal with the
accounting output from your printer filter.

The LPRng package handles this very nicely.  It can be found at
dickory.sdsu.edu in /pub/LPRng.  It compiles cleanly on FreeBSD, and it
passes the compatibility tests so you don't need to run them.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo