From:      Ben Stuyts <ben@stuyts.nl>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Again: panic kmem_malloc()

At 00:23 11/10/2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
>Robert Watson wrote:
> > I've run into this on a couple of boxes, but those boxes were diskless
> > root boxes, and used md backed ffs for /tmp and /var.  Apparently if you
> > do that, you're likely to exceed the kernel's auto-tuned kmem map size.
> > That said, they didn't do it as frequently, so perhaps there's been a
> > chance.  A glance at the malloc buckets on the machine suggested that this
> > wasn't a memory leak (the normal candidate in this sort of scenario).
>
>Use of swapping on additional space not known to the kernel at
>boot time, will also cause this;

That's not happening on my box. It has 64 MB real memory, 128 MB swap area
mounted like this:

/dev/da0s1b                     none            swap    sw 0 0

pstat -s says:

Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/da0s1b        131072    10244   120828     8%    Interleaved

Is there a way to check the free list of the kernel? Maybe I can find out
what action triggers eating al its memory.

Ben