Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:41:16 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@terrandev.com>
Cc:        Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, andy@CRWdog.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Modem on Thinkpad 600?

Brandon,

Thanks for the pointer to the out-dated entries in the mwave
package. I'll update them very shortly, probably tomorrow. (I have
fixed pkg-message already and will get to Makefile tomorrow.) Sorry
for missing this last time I updated the port.

I am surprised that there is a need to have a phone line plugged in.as
I have heard no reports of this nor have I seen it myself.

Here is what I have seen:
When the system is booted up to single user and mwavem is not started,
the modem will not probe correctly un subsequent reboots until mwavem
is run or the modem is used under Windows.
If the system is shutdown with a shutdown -p, on the subsequent
reboot, the device will not respond and will be listed as an
8250. This will continue until a mwavem is run before a reboot.

Clearly, something is not being properly initialized in the
boot/module load but is initialized by mwave.

Others with system identical to mine have never seen these problems,
so it may have a BIOS interaction of some sort.

I have never seen mwave.ko cause problems with boot-up.

There is no need to actually use the modem to clear the
problems. Simply running mwavem will result in a subsequent reboot
working.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)