Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 17:57:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Christopher T. Johnson" <cjohnson@camelot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Req feedback re: change in pkg_add and sysinstall

I must say that I really enjoy the "ports" and "packages" that FreeBSD uses.

There is one place where the user interface could be a little bit better,
maybe there is something in the documentation that would help that I've missed
but the problem is:

	How do you know what the name of the package is?

Right now, the process I go through for installing a package looks something
like:
	cd /usr/ports
	make search key=kermit
	pkg_add -v ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages-2.2.5/All/kermit-6.0.192.tgz
wait for the failure because while kermit is a port, it is not a package.
	cd comms/kermit
	make
	make install
	make package

Install package on the 8 or 9 other machines that need that package.

Looking through the source for pkg_add, I don't see anyplace where you
can set an enviornment variable or where it reads from a configuration
file as to where to get packages over the network.

So the two things I'm looking for are:
1)	a config file or environment variable for pkg_add which will
	give a default base URL
2)	that sysinstall would install INDEX into /var/db/pkg to allow
	for easy searchs.

	Thanks,
		Chris
P.S. if (1) sounds like a good Idea, I'll submit diffs for it later this
week.