Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 01:54:20 -0600
From:      Eric Timme <timothy@voidnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   out of inodes (4.7-stable shortly post-install)

Just performed a from scratch installation of FreeBSD from a snapshot off=
=20
snapshots.jp.freebsd.org (dated January 2 or 3, 2003), and when building=20
stuff from ports have suddenly gotten the out of inodes message =3D(

The install was done onto a 1.6gb harddrive, and was a reinstall of an al=
ready=20
functional 4.7-stable machine, with the same partitioning settings, which=
 is=20
what makes this so strange.  I didn't change anything in the=20
partitioning/slice editors, so whatever settings I used were the default.

The results of df -ih are as follows:

Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a    89M    44M    37M    54%    1535  9983   13%   /
/dev/ad0s1e    79M   4.0K    72M     0%       2 10236    0%   /tmp
/dev/ad0s1f   886M   620M   195M    76%  107214  6448   94%   /usr
/dev/ad0s1g    93M    92K    86M     0%      44 12114    0%   /usr/home
/dev/ad0s1h    99M   6.1M    85M     7%     463 12463    4%   /usr/local
/dev/ad0s1d    99M   406K    90M     0%     120 12678    1%   /var
procfs        4.0K   4.0K     0B   100%      41   955    4%   /proc
/dev/ad1s1    490M   2.0K   451M     0%       1 62973    0%   /usr/obj

As you can see I'm using up 94% of my /usr partition's inodes just standi=
ng=20
still, and only have around 6500 free, compared with almost 110000 used! =
 The=20
/usr partition does house both a source and ports tree, and as you can se=
e I=20
utilize a second hard-drive to build my world.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of an inode comparison with the old ins=
tall,=20
but I do know that I had never gotten that message merely building=20
portupgrade, or even when building two things at once.  The space taken u=
p by=20
files is about the same, however, when compared to the older setup.

Those things said, I guess my question is, for a low use gateway is 6500 =
free=20
inodes enough; am I causing myself grief over nothing? (By low use I mean=
 it=20
does nothing but serves webpages and performs firewalling/NAT duties for =
the=20
household; no mail or news handling, or anything like that).

I'd considered for a moment doing a reinstall, but I'm not sure if it's t=
he=20
small size of the partition/hard drive that is limiting their number, or =
if=20
perhaps they were created with an overly large size for a partition that=20
houses such a large number of small files.  Additionally, now that the=20
installation is finished, the only partitions that should be experiencing=
 any=20
growth should be /var and /usr/local, so the inode limit should only be=20
tested during a port's build, shouldn't it?

Anyhow, could someone more familiar with such matters weigh in?

Thanks,
Troubled in Texas