Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 10:28:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy@siliconlandmark.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSH (TCP?) lag

Hi,

I'm experiencing some rather severe lag during ssh sessions, while running
GENERIC on -current (cvsupped as of 5 minutes ago). This symptom first
started occuring a couple of days ago with the merging of some TCP
patches.

I've checked all of the obvious causes. I've even gone as far as
rebuilding the client system with 5.0-R and upgrading from there.

Doing an ls -l in a directory with lots of files over ssh lists files in
chunks. I noticed that pressing a key on the keyboard makes more text
appear.

Hardware is:
Server: Dual Athlon 2000+ MP w/1GB DDR, gigabit nge nic. FreeBSD 4.7.
Client: Athlon 1900+ XP w/1GB DDR, 100mbit dc0 nic. FreeBSD -current.
Network is switched 100mbit fastether.

I've tried this (reproduceably) with the following software configuration:
1. Server and client running sshd2/ssh2 from ports/security/ssh2.
2. Server running sshd2 from ports. Client running openssh.

This setup has been working great for well over a year; Has anyone else
recently started having problems?