Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:41:16 -0700
From:      Joshua Lokken <joloxbox@attbi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   failure to enable atapi dma

Hello

I am running FreeBSD 4.6 release.  Drives are:

ad0 - WD 40GB UDMA100  #at ata0
acd0 - CD-RW (TDK, new 40x burner)  #at ata1 master
acd1 - DVD-ROM (Creative 5x) # at ata1 slave

The HDD (since it is ATA100 compliant, and the only device on the bus)  is
running UDMA100 no problem.  I would like to playback DVDs, etc. and I've
tried putting the following entry in sysctl.conf:

hw.ata.atapi_dma=1

however, the atapi drives still show PIO4 mode.  I read through LINT, as
well, and did find any help with this problem.  Can anyone offer some advice,
or point me to the proper docs?  Thank you.

Please cc to me, as I am not subscribed at the time...

Joshua Lokken