Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:53:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Damon Hammis <squirrel@hammis.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP question

Ok, I'm stumped.  After reading the man page for ppp for the millionth
time I figured I'd finally break down and ask the list for help.

I am running multilink ppp on my 4.0-RELEASE box without any problems,
except one.  The dialer is started using the ppp -background isp command
and is set for dedicated dial.  Occasionally my isp's equipment flakes out
and the connection drops but doesn't disconnect the modems.  The only
successful way that I've found to get the modems to dial again are:

a) Physically shut the modems off and on.
b) Do a kill -9 on the ppp process and rm the /var/run/ppp-(some number
for the ml ppp thing) file.

Is there an easier way, (especially that can be done via remote), that can
hang up the modems and make them redial?  Kill -1 doesn't seem to do
anything but drop the connection, not make them redial.

Anybody else have a similar situation?

--Damon

                           _ _