Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 17:18:50 +0400 (MSD)
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > 	Have you stopped to consider that users may just want to _use_ FreeBSD
> > without having to follow the development? Have you considered that bad
> > releases affect them? This is yet another piece of the 'Open Source' versus
> > 'company supported' puzzle.

[...]

> If you're just downloading something off the net which represents an
> ongoing moving target and you're working with volunteers who REQUIRE
> precise and accurate bug reports in order to do anything at all useful
> for you, however, then certain minimum standards in the user himself
> must be met.  Some users who "just want to use it" and not be bothered
> to adapt to the unique non-commercial environment they're now in are
> expecting far too much from too little personal investment, basically.

Nevertheless many people here I have talked to seem to have an opinion on
FreeBSD as something which is stable as a rock and changes very rarely. In
other words, not a moving target but a solid foundation for server of any
kind. It may sound funny that most of these people never used FreeBSD
though (they all run/ran Linux).