Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 2002 05:00:30 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "."@babolo.ru
To:        Stephen Hurd <shurd@sasktel.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Importance of using correct hierarchy for ports.

> > If this BBS package can't execute
> > in read only mounted directory
> > (try to store data in the same directory
> > as executable, libraryes or configs),
> > then it must be repaired to use /var for data
>
> Which reminds me, what is the proper use of /var for ports?
>  Should changeable data go in /var/PACKAGE?
Probably yes

>  What about data that's user changeable?
$HOME?

> Really, I suppose I should plow through the ports
> and see where for example chrooted ftp servers like
> their data and where databases keep theirs for some
> good examples.
Usually ports keep data in $PREFIX, but real data
path can be configured before service start so that
sysadmin decide where to place data.

>  What makes this even more difficult is that all of the files except for a single text file and the binaries themselves are used in such a way that the BBS can be easily distributed across multiple platforms running multiple OSs.
>
> This really is a relatively large program, containing an FTP server, two HTTP servers, a Gopher server, an NNTP server, a POP3 server, an SMTP server, a finger server, and a telnet server in addition to the standard BBS (Classic Dial-up style) interface.  Splitting all the files up into the generally accepted "correct" locations (/var/backups, /var/mail, /var/msgs, /var/run, /var/spool/*, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin, /usr/local/etc, etc) is a non-trivial task... one I'm not overly sure is worth it.
>
> It also uses binary configuration files, which I'm not sure are suitable for ${PREFIX}/etc and if not would go in /var yet again...
There is terrible layout port - mail/qmail
It reminds me one more restriction - it is possible,
that /var is mounted with noexec option :-)

> Perhaps a /var/PKG and /usr/local/PKG
IMHO yes

> with symlinks into ${PREFIX}/bin, ${PREFIX}/sbin, and ${PREFIX}/libexec would be better...
What is purpose of links in ${PREFIX}/libexec?
There no */libexec in PATH

Does shared libraryes used?

--
@BABOLO      http://links.ru/