Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 04:07:50 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        taholmes@pacbell.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP & Modem Madness - Please Help

> Hello-
> I set up a FBSD box as a router to my ISP (I've done this
> a few times), via modem (ala user PPP). Now my problem
> is that after about four days of no problems, the modem's
> send and receive lights are wildy flashing back and forth.
> The only way to 'fix' it is to turn the modem off/on.
> It appears to happen randomly, and once it does happen,
> network traffic - inbound & outbound to ISP, comes to
> a screaching halt.  I have switched out the modem with
> another, and it still occurs. My setup is as follows:
> --
> Problem System: (At Work)
> FreeBSD 2.2.2 - Release (CD) - Gateway 2000 (P5-75/16MB)
> Modem Attempt #1: US Robotics Sportster 28.8
> Modem Attempt #2: US Robotics Courier 28.8
> PPP Config: -ddial, -alias, static IP, and 24x7 link to ISP.
> --
> Working System: (At Home)
> FreeBSD 2.2.2 - Release (CD) - i386DX/40 (8MB)
> Modem: SupraFAXModem 14.4
> PPP Config: -auto, -alias, dynamic IP, on-demand link to ISP.
> --
> A point in the right direction or any info at all would be
> greatly appreciated. I will also post this in the FBSD news-
> group, since you guys probably get swamped with these ?s.

Interesting.  You may want to muck around with `tcp/ip', `hdlc' and
`async' logging using pppctl to enable or disable them on the fly.
It would be interesting to see what traffic is making the modem go
mad, and also if `show hdlc' indicates loads of FCS errors at this
point (indicating that the peer is no longer talking ppp).

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;