Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2006 01:30:24 +0800
From:      intron@intron.ac
To:        Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, cnproj-cvs@lists.cn.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Chinese Bookmark with DVIPDFMx

     I used a word "experimentally" in my previous mails to you
just because I am walking on a temporary way for test purpose only.

     Actually, if FDP is transfered into a XSL system, only a few
FreeBSD-specific DSSSL style sheets need to be converted into XSL style
sheets, and those SGML DTDs need to be converted into XML DTDs with
slight changes. After all, most of style sheets for FDP are provided
by Norman Walsh, either in DSSSL or in XSL.

     In fact, Jade/OpenJade's bugs (mainly around its tex-backend) are
only minor. TeX's bugs and the glued relationship between Jade/OpenJade
and TeX is the substantial of problems. Sometimes, we cannot find
a way out for Jade/OpenJade to let TeX consider it as "correct", and
maybe even both two sides of a problem are taken as "wrong" by TeX.

     At least today XML/XSL is the developing trend rather than
SGML/DSSSL. So many efforts are focused on XML/XSL in open source
community all over the world. XML/XSL system supports Unicode natively,
which means all languages including your Nipponese may be well solved.

     Now MySQL's docments are typeset by Apache FOP, which have better
quality than current FreeBSD documents (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/),
even only in English. Their PDFs have commercial-level typesetting
styles in some details: word-splitting, margin kerning and font
expansion, just as LaTeX + microtype package do. It seems that XSL
system is absolutely not a simple "it works" one, at least witnessed
by 1727-paged "MySQL 5.1 Reference Manual".

     FreeBSD's style is stability and dependability, not being behind
the times.