Date:      Thu, 4 May 2017 23:46:21 +0200
From:      Marco van Tol <marco@tols.org>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Cc:        Marco van Tol <marco@tols.org>
Subject:   equivalent for pf's max-src-conn-rate in ipfw

Hi there,

Possibly this questions pops up regularly.  I have tried to find the =
answer myself and have been unable to so far.

My current way to drastically slow-down ssh brute force attacks is by =
using the pf feature "max-src-conn-rate" with an argument of 5/60 =
meaning only 5 syn packets are allowed per source IP to my ssh port per =
minute.  The rest get dropped.  This works both for IPv4 and IPv6.  I =
typically don't login more then 5 times per minute to my hosts.

I have tried several ways to get the same behaviour using ipfw and =
dummynet.  But when combining the rules with keep-state I don't get to =
the point where I get wire-speed ssh connections for those that make it =
while keeping the number of new connections per source IP at a very low =
number (a few per minute).

Is there an equivalent in ipfw for the pf feature max-src-conn-rate?

Thank you very much in advance, please keep cc'ing me as I have not =
subscribed to the ipfw list yet.

Thanks!

Marco van Tol=