Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:10:46 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Ramiro Aceves" <ea1abz@wanadoo.es>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Epson Stylus C84 printer setup

Have you heard of the KISS principle?

CUPS is unnecessary.  unnecessary software complicates the machine
and makes it harder to troubleshoot.  I don't personally care much
for this.

Also, too many people out there have got the idea that CUPS is
somehow required to make their printer work.  Not good.  This
leads to less understanding of how things work.

This is a personal taste thing.  Some people like to buy cars
that have a factory cd player/dvd player/drink cooler/hand washer/
power windows/power door locks/factory alarm/antitheft key/remote
starter/extra fog lights/spoilers that do nothing at any legal speed/
gps systems/onstar systems/etc. etc. etc.

Others like to buy cars with a minimal set of things that go a
lot faster because they aren't loaded down with all the extra
unnecessary baloney, and don't cost as much to repair because all
the extra crap isn't breaking down all the time.

It is the same with computers.  I know of people who have
Windows boxes that are so highly configured it takes them
literally weeks to put backgrounds/sounds/games/doodads/etc.etc.
on every little thing of their PC.  To me it is sad to see
this same attitude encroaching on FreeBSD.

Ted