Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 03:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/7382: Pine4 does not co-exist with older installed version of  pine.

The following reply was made to PR ports/7382; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To: Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
Cc: Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/7382: Pine4 does not co-exist with older installed
 version of  pine.
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 06:17:58 -0400 (EDT)

 On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Adrian Penisoara wrote:
 > On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
 > > I munged the pine4 install to install things as pine4, not pine (and
 > > pico4, etc).
 >
 >  What did you do with manpages & documentation ?

 Did the '4' thing with them (pine.man becomes pine4.man etc.)

 The best thing to do would be to have a 'DEFAULT_PINE' variable and create
 links to the correct versioned pine/pico etc.

 > What version did you "implement" for libpico?

 Something like libpico402a.so.1.0 would be best.

 I don't expect pine and pico to be compatible with anything other than
 their version of the libpico so this shouldn't be a problem.

 > Did you have any trouble compiling Pine4 when Pine3 was already
 > installed (or viceversa)?

 Nope.

 >  So, in the end, did you have any troubles in this configuration ?

 I've had it running for a month.  No problems so far.

 --
 | Matthew N. Dodd  |This space | '78 Datsun 280Z | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
 | winter@jurai.net |is for rent| '84 Volvo 245DL | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |