Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:24:52 -0400
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gimp's lack of gif support

On April 04, 2001, Christopher Farley sent me the following:
> I'm running the latest version of GIMP and I can load and save gifs
> left and right.
>
> Unlike image formats like .jpg, .gif images need to be converted to
> indexed color mode before GIMP (or Photoshop or any other image
> manipulation program) will save them.

In the GIMP that I'm running (1.2.1) there is support for gif files,
and I've found you don't have to manually convert to indexed color
before saving. Just set the Determine File Type to By Extension, type
in a file name ending in .gif, and it will pop up an Export File
window for your image conversion needs. Very handy.

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/ Finger for PGP
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a19>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N+@ o K- w O M+ V--