Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 22:46:11 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        "Joe Clarke" <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: VPN Server & Win2K Client Not Connecting

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Clarke" <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To: "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 2:41 PM

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
> > I apologize if this is a duplicate.  I'm not sure my first post
made it
> > out as I received an error when sending it.
> >
> > I'm trying to setup a VPN server on my home network.  I have
installed
> > mpd-netgraph 3.3 from ports and followed the directions in the
user
> > guide and sample files.  I'm attempting to connect from a Win2K
client
> > but am not successful.  I have searched the list archives and
found one
> > message that was close to my problem but did not find any replies.
> > Below is my log from an attempted connection.  I don't really
understand
> > what's going on and hope someone can point out my error and let me
know
> > where to look next.
>
> I usually respond to PPTP/mpd questions.  I have this working on
FreeBSD
> 4.4-stable with 2000, 98, and Me clients.  I compiled mpd-netgraph
3.2 (I
> haven't upgraded to 3.3 yet) from ports.  I also made sure I had all
the
> crypto sources installed first (this is the only way to get MS CHAP
> support [that is, you need the DES libs]).
>
> This works out of the box with pretty much the default pptp config
in
> mpd.conf.  I only had to add user and IP address info.  I'm also
able to
> get 128-bit MPPE.
>
> It looks like your clients are trying to use MS CHAP, but mpd wasn't
> compiled with it.  Try adding the crypto sources and libraries to
your
> machine, then recompile the port.

Thank you for looking into my problem.

Since I posted this message, I have done a little more
troubleshooting.  What I found is that if I connect from a Win2K
machine on my private LAN to the VPN server (on the same private LAN),
a tunnel is established.  My interpretation of the successful log is
that the Win2K client sends a Config Request.  The request is rejected
by the VPN server.  Then the VPN server sends a message along the
lines of "how 'bout this?".  The message is received by the Win2K
client that says "OK" and then the tunnel is established.

My internet connection for my home network is ADSL.  When I try to
connect to the VPN server via the Internet, it seems as the "how 'bout
this?" message from the VPN server doesn't make it to the Win2K
client.  My FBSD firewall is not an issue as I've tried it with the
firewall wide open.  I log deny packets and have log_in_vain set.  No
errors show up in the logs.  Here's my network config:

       ISP

        | IP is DHCP (RFC 1918 & draft-manning nets
        |             inbound blocked here)

 ADSL Modem/Router (provides DNS & NAT)
        |192.168.10.1 (RFC 1918 & draft-manning nets
        |              outbound blocked here)
        |
        |192.168.10.2 (ed1)
     Firewall

        |192.168.1.2 (ed0)

Internal Network 192.168.1.0/24

I know NAT and VPN don't necessarily get along real well so it may be
a NAT issue with my 3Com router/modem.  But it could also be a
firewall issue at my place of employment.  I am able to connect to a
VPN server at my work from home through the 3Com router/modem.
Connecting to my home from work via VPN fails.  Do you have any idea
which problem is more likely?  Or some other possibility I haven't
even thought of?  I'll be out of town for a few days but when I
return, I plan to do a little more testing.  Any advice, pointers,
things to look for, etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Drew