Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 22:09:37 -0400
From:      "Donald J. Maddox" <root@scsn.net>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        dmaddox@scsn.net, bde@zeta.org.au, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports 'make install' and mtree

On Tue, Jun 03, 1997 at 06:57:27PM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  * Blech.  Yet another good reason not to use packages.  I never use packages anyway,
>  * since I run -current, and -current has a tendency to break 'em and require a
>  * recompile anyway :-)
>
> I'm so glad to hear that my effort to constantly rebuild packages is
> appreciated.  (Maybe you can report what is broken so we can
> investigate/fix it, rather than make snide remarks like this? :<)
>
> Satoshi

    Sorry, I wasn't trying to deride the efforts you make in keeping working
packages available...  It's simply a fact that changes in -current often
break installed packages, and I prefer just recompiling source I already
have in distfiles over downloading Yet Another Package That May Be Broken
Again Tomorrow.  No matter how diligent you are in rebuilding the available
packages, you cannot respond to the breakage of a package I use faster than
I can :-)

    I apologize if my previous message sounded like an indictment of the
package system that exists; it wasn't.  It was simply a statement that
IMVHO, packages are more trouble than they are worth for -current users.

    FWIW, I think you do a great job.  Thanks.