Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 1997 20:43:58 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: games uid->gid does too much damage! Who ever got this idea and why?

Since you're asking questions in the subject: I got this idea a long
time ago, and found that OpenBSD had already done it.  I merged and
verified that at least Guido and Warner (security officers) considered
it The Right Thing, and then committed.

> Well, I remove all revoke mess for games which ever aren't sguid,

Sorry about spurious revokes - I assumed that they were in OpenBSD for
a reason.

> but rest of the games (which are sguid under HIDEGAME) is seriously
> broken now too, consider following example from snake.c:
>
> 	rawscores = open(_PATH_RAWSCORES, O_RDWR|O_CREAT, 0644);
> 	logfile = fopen(_PATH_LOGFILE, "a");
>
> 	/* revoke privs */
> 	setegid(getgid());
> 	setgid(getgid());
>
> This files created after first run:
>
> -rw-r--r--   ache   games   snakerawscores
> -rw-rw-r--   ache   games   snake.log
>
> It means that any user which run 'snake' first time can damage (overwrite)
> scores and log file. Similar thing for other games too.

We might want to make /var/games 0770 instead of 0775; this should
solve this problem.

> I suggest to back out recent games uid->gid completely and remove revike
> mess too.

I suggest you calm down and check whether things happen for a reason.
This is to avoid security errors in games compromising other accounts.
And it would be courteous to check with the person responsible before
flaming in public; I'm not that hard to get hold of.

Eivind.