Date:      Sun, 3 May 1998 10:39:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, jb@cimlogic.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM changes broke SYSVSHM?

> We need to be able to support -current, because for many people 2.2.X
> is too far in the past. 8-) But we need to avoid throwing marbles
> where bladers are skating.

The problem is that -current is not yet released.

You can not expect John to go off on a branch in order to let people
pretend that -current is -stable.

If John's changes need to be shaken out, then you are going to have to
put up with instability at some point.  If you force him onto a branch,
then you are going to end up paying more in the future.  The code on
the branch will not be nearly as well tested as if it weren't on a
branch.

You should also consider that John's changes are not gratuitous.  They
fix bugs.

I think th qualitative difference would be that, if the changes were on
a branch, then you will have a longer time in which you must live with
instabilities and/or unresolved bugs.

I, for one, would loudly object to forcing John off onto a branch.

The constructive approach would be to work on getting -current stable
(AND bug free) enough for a release (IMO).

Then your "bladers" can be safe from marbles, and at the same time
get to complain about how "3.0 is buggier than the new -current" and
"why can't we make -current more stable, given that 3.0 is too far
in the past".

8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org