Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 10:20:11 -0600
From:      "Alejandro Ramirez" <ales@megared.net.mx>
To:        "Dmitry S. Rzhavin" <dima@rt.ru>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: squid and wccp

Hi,

> Sure I tried it. I've read Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html. Here the steps I made then
:
> configured squid with --enable-kill-parent-hack -enable-time-hack
> --disable-ident-lookups

For better performance, try not compiling squid with --enable-time-hack.

> then added "wccp_router=ip.of.my.cisco" to squid.conf

This has to be the primary ip address in the cisco router interface.

> Cisco says like "I see proxy, forwarding requests to it" and web stopped r
ight
> after it.

Did you configured GRE for FreeBSD???

> I downloaded patches as recommended in "Configuring FreeBSD" section, appl
ied
> them

The gre.patch file doesnt apply directly to FreeBSD 3.4, you will have to di
vide them in to several patches, and apply them one by one to the specified
file in your /usr/src/sys tree; the options patch section, you will have to
apply it manually in the /usr/src/sys/conf/options file, the gre.c file it h
as been updated and corrected for some bugs, try downloading the new one.

6
> Transparent
> caching with FreeBSD" but decided that this section is for virtual web hos
ting
> acceleration

No, you "MUST" do it in order to wccp works, start from the following paragr
aph:

FreeBSD-3.0 has much better support for connection hijacking, so I suggest y
ou start with that. You need to build a kernel with the following options...

> and for people who have FreeBSD as router. As far as I understood, in my c
ase
> cisco will do
> this work. (Am I wrong?) I've read "Standard Linux GRE Tunnel" and found t
hat
> they
> configuring "gre tunnel". Do I need to configure it under FreeBSD too?

A GRE tunnel no, just install the GRE implementation in the kernel, and conf
igure your server for Transparent Caching.

> And one more question: What if I install FBSD 4.0? There are patches for 3
.x
> only.
> does it mean I cant configure dquid to use wccp under 4.0?

Yes you can, the procedure its the same as for the 3.X branch, and the patch
es are the same too.

> PS: Sorry for my awful eglish :(

Dont be!!!

P.S. Try to copy all your mails to the list, so other people can learn an ma
ke improvements to the topic in question, there are many guys in the list wi
th a lot of knowlege.

Have Fun...
Ales