Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2018 17:44:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <truckman@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stefan Blachmann <sblachmann@gmail.com>
Cc:        Meowthink <meowthink@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org,  Mitchell <mitchell@wyatt672earp.force9.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Ryzen Build Problem

On 27 Aug, Stefan Blachmann wrote:
> It is remarkable that AMD's list only contains "brands" like Crucial
> and the like, but not a single first-party-manufacturer.
> Why? Because the first-party-manufacturers do not sell bad memories,
> for simple reputation reasons.
>
> The question where all these masses of B-grade selection chips remain,
> which the memory manufacturers reject for use under their own brand,
> is an old taboo in the industry.
>
> My personal impression is that these are dumped via these third party
> memory module manufacturers.
> The typical gamer/overclocker customer unaware of this will readily
> explain away problems on her non-ECC systems equipped with memory
> chips rejected by the original manufacturer as "the usual Windows
> crashes".
> The consumers will even happily take the fancy "coolers" on the
> modules as "sign of quality and worthiness", whose actual function is
> to hide the crap inside.
>
> Thus my personal advice:
> Do not use memory modules from third-party-manufacturers.
> The time and data you lose does not justify the savings when buying
> stuff from B-grade-stuff remarketers.
> Only buy first-party-memory modules, i.e. Samsung, Hynix, Micron etc.
> (If you really insist on using third-party-modules, take Kingston, who
> have a comparatively small history of using unreliable chips compared
> to other "brands".)

Crucial == Micron.  There is a Micron copyright notice at the bottom of
the Crucial home page, and a link to Crucial at the bottom of the Micron
home page.

When I put together my Ryzen machine last year, I purchased the Crucial
DDR4-2400 ECC RAM that was listed on the motherboard vendor's qualified
list.  I also looked up the part number for the Micron-branded
equivalent, but didn't find any available for retail sale.  I've used a
fair amount of Kingston RAM in the past, but at the time they didn't
have DDR4 ECC RAM in that speed grade.