Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 01:39:19 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP modem not recognized at boot, but by pnpinfo(8)

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 01:31:38AM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:

[snip]

> (even if you add more hardware). If you set it to "Enabled" you should
> see something like "Updating ECSD......Done" at the end of the BIOS
> messages (just before the OS starts). I see the same message if
> Windows finds new hardware or I change the resource settings (this is
> what I was meaning about Windows f*****g with the BIOS settings).

Oops. I should have added that if you set it to "Enabled" you may well
find your modem appears on a different IRQ (possibly 5 or 11). This
may get it working in FreeBSD but as soon as you run Windows again it
will probably go back to IRQ3. One way to make the change permanent
would be to completely remove the modem in Windows, reboot and go into
the BIOS, set to "Enabled", exit the BIOS (which reboots), and go into
Windows, which will "Find new hardware". If the IRQ the BIOS assigned
is unused by Windows you may be lucky and Windows may use it (but
Windows may change it anyway in which case, unless it uses something
other than IRQ 3, you are back where you started).

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie