Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:42:06 +0200
From:      Dang-Ngoc TUYET-TRAM <Dang-Ngoc.Tuyet-Tram@prism.uvsq.fr>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Partionning disk drive

Hello everybody,

I've a big problem when installing FreeBSD.
I have an IDE Disk Drive with about 520M. Before all my problems have
occured, my first partition of 250M was under Windows95 and my second one of
270M was under Linux2.0. Everyting worked fine. Then I decided to
kick off Linux and put FreeBSD instead. I went under fdisk on DOS, and delete
my second partition, then I've boot from a floppy on FreeBSD, and
using /stand/sysinstall (and take novice installation), created a new partition
for FreeBSD. and after having installed everything, I could never reboot on FreeBSD, because I always get an error such as :
"Error C:1056>1023". As some people suggested me in this mailing-list, I tried
to change LBA on bios, to shrink with FIPS, and all sorts of things. Finally,
I decided to save my data, and to format completely the disk.
Then with my empty disk, I put a FreeBSD boot floppy disk, and under
/stand/sysinstall I have when getting to the fdisk execution :
Before creating anything:
***
Disk name : wd0
DISK geometry : 528 cyls/32 heads/63 sectors = 1064448 sectors
offset	size	end	name	ptype	desc	subtype	flag
0	1065456	1065455	-	6	unused	0
****
Ok, now, I just  want to _CREATE_ a FreeBSD slice, so I type 'C' to create,
enter the value given by default (1065456), choose FreeBSD slice 165).
and what I get is strange

++++
Disk name : wd0
DISK geometry : 528 cyls/32 heads/63 sectors = 1064448 sectors
offset	size	end	name	ptype	desc	subtype	flag
0	63	62	-	6	unused	0
63	1064385	1064447	wd0s1	3	freebsd	165	C
1064448	1008	1065455	-	6	unused	0
++++

I understand the second line (the FreeBSD slice created), the third line (some
data which is above the size I have chosen), BUT NOT THE FIRST LINE !!!
And that line cause the error "Error C:1056>1023 (BIOS Limit).

(I tried LBA, NORMAL on BIOS)

So, what's happen, what can I do to solve this problem ?
Please help, my computer is totally unusable (the hard disk is now EMPTY !)

Tram
--
Universite de Versailles
dntt@prism.uvsq.fr

A list is only as strong as its weakest link. - Don Knuth