Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:26:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Richard J. Dawes" <rjdawes@physics.ucsd.edu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.1-S build problem

Hello, all!
	I've had a problem making "buildworld" for 3.1-stable.  I'd
really appreciate if anyone can help me with this.  Everything goes fine
through building the libraries, and then building the system is fine too
until it gets to /share/doc/psd:

==> share/doc
==> share/doc/psd
==> share/doc/title
touch _stamp.extraobjs
(cd /usr/src/share/doc/psd/title; groff -mtty-char -Tascii -ms -o1- /usr/src/share/doc/psd/title/Title) | gzip -cn > Title.ascii.gz
groff: can't find 'DESC' file
groff:fatal error: invalid device `ascii'
==> share/doc/psd/contents
[...]

I goes like this for some 200+ lines until it gets to
"share/doc/usd/13.viref"; after the same groff errors, the make bails
with:

***Error code 3

Stop.
***Error code 1

Stop.

with several more error codes "1" repeating.

	As far as I can tell groff had been built without error.
Although I had set "PRINTERDEVICE= ascii" previously in my make.conf
(since I don't have any printer),  I tried the "ps" setting and got the
same results, only with "ps" substituted for "ascii" in the messages.
	I recompiled my kernel (my system was freshly installed back on
Feb. 5.), kept cvsup-ing the sources, making "cleandir", clearing out
/usr/obj, enabling/disabling lpt0 and/or ppbus0 in my kernel (what the
hell, I thought), and basically taking every precaution I could find out
about.  Oh, and yes, the `devascii' and `devps' directories under both
/usr/share/groff_fonts and /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/share/groff_fonts
have `DESC' files.  All to no avail: I keep getting the results above.
	So, now I know it must really be something stupid on my part ;-)
I'm kinda new to this make world stuff, so Muchos Gracias to any who can
send a pointer my way.  Hasta!

--Rich