Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 2003 22:31:28 +0100
From:      Lewis Thompson <purple@lewiz.net>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Large vinum volume -- only showing as the size of one subdisk.

--tqI+Z3u+9OQ7kwn0

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 06:50:58AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 17 September 2003 at 18:53:55 +0100, Lewis Thompson wrote:
> >   I'm hoping I've gotten the config right.  Also, I tried (while the
> > volume was not mounted) newfs /dev/vinum/data and I received:
> >
> > purple# newfs /dev/vinum/data
> > newfs: wtfs: 512 bytes at sector 418773125: Inappropriate ioctl for dev=
ice
>=20
> That's puzzling.  I've never seen this before.  What version of
> FreeBSD are you using?  Try:
>=20
>   ktrace -i newfs /dev/vinum/data
>=20
> This will create a file ktrace.out.  Look at it with:
>=20
>   kdump | less
>=20
> Look for the message in the output (it'll be there) and show the ioctl
> call immediately before (if it's there).  Also check if there's any
> message in dmesg output or /var/log/messages.  Otherwise I have
> alternative tricks up my sleeve.

Gah!  I didn't think.  I just got annoyed and redid the vinum stuff.  It
does work (quite beautifully) now, after one or two minor hitches.
Sorry, I can't provide much feedback for you -- other than it was
probably me that messed it up in the first place.

  Thanks very much,

-lewiz.

--=20
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple@lewiz.net | jab:lewiz@jabber.org | url:http://lewiz.net |-

--tqI+Z3u+9OQ7kwn0

--tqI+Z3u+9OQ7kwn0--