Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 23:35:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        didds@freenet.uk.com (Ian Diddams)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-questions)
Subject:   Re: Timed master

Ian Diddams wrote,

> I must be missing somethuing (a brain?) but what is a timed master, or
> how does one start?  The man pages merely indicate that timed looks for
> a master on its ocal network, but doesn't say exactly how to run said
> master!

You are not missing anything. The timed(8) manpage, to use a technical
term, sucks the Big One (I have a PR in on it since June,
docs/11978). You can kind of infer from the wording of the timed(8)
manpage that there is some type of election process for the timed
master. However, you can force a machine to only trust certain
machines as masters with the '-F' switch (or so I gather from reading
between the lines). If you,

# timed -F localhost

You effectively make that machine master. At least, I have a machine
that does ntpdate periodically and only trusts itself as master, and
all of the other machines using timed with no '-F' option take it as
master too.

To set this up in rc.conf,

timed_enable="YES"               # Run the time daemon (or NO).
timed_flags="-F localhost"       # Flags to timed (if enabled).

I've been meaning to maybe dig into the timed source and figure out
what the switches actually do, but just have not had the time. Plus, I
figure someone out there _must_ know better and could actually write a
manpage that clearly lays things out without much effort.