Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:29:32 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Daryl Chance" <dchance@valuedata.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache 2.0...ports?

Daryl Chance <dchance@valuedata.net> types:
> What would be the chances of getting apache 2.0 added to
> the ports collection?  I know there are some other development
> (beta/alpa) ports out there (samba/lynx).  Is there any interest
> in getting this added to the ports collection at all?

Clearly, there is some - you're interested in it. Building apache from
their distribution is pretty simple - I do it because I want more
control over the config than any of the ports. 2.0 should build
equally easily, so just doing that is probably the best route. That
also means that turning it into a port is pretty straightforward, and
there are probably people who would appreciate it if you took that
step as well.

Note that "developement" means different things for different
projects. For some, the "development" version is usually builds and
runs, but gets bugs more often than the developers things is
reasonable in production software. For others, it tends to be in an
incredible state of flux, so getting a copy that works is more a
matter of luck than anything else. The former are good port prospects,
the latter are not. I've seen things that imply that apache 2.0 is in
the latter category, so...

	<mike