Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2005 04:07:32 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt writes:
>
>> The dmesg you sent indicated that the 2 disks were negotiating at
>> different sync rates.  If you did limit them to 10mbt sync
>> negotiation as you stated, then why does the dmesg show them at
>> different rates?
>
> It dates from before the change.  They both show 10.00 MB/s now in
> both the BIOS and dmesg, but the problem remains.

OK, well then that increases the chances that it is a driver issue
and reduces the chances that it is a hardware issue.  Assuming your
termination is correct, that would increase chances it is a driver
issue even more.

Going to each single disk is what you really need to do now in order to
make a definite finger point to the driver.

You know, there is something else that coincidentally might relate to
this.

I have been working on a Compaq Professional workstation from time
to time to setup a test workstation over the last week.  It has a
problem where under heavy use it will corrupt files written and read
from the disk.  This system was always a Windows box before, using
a 1GB Seagate disk drive.  (don't ask why Compaq would supply a 1GB disk
it is rediculous)  Here are some relevant bits of the dmesg
that might interest you:

.
.
CPU: Pentium Pro (199.31-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x619  Stepping = 9

Features=0xf9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV>
.
.
ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter> port 0x1000-0x10ff mem
0x40080000-0x40080fff irq 11 at device 18.0 on pci0
aic7880: Ultra Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/253 SCBs
.
.
da0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <QUANTUM FIREBALL SE8.4S PJ09> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15), Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 8191MB (16777215 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 1044C)
.
.

Now I can say one thing with certainty with this machine - Compaq has
definitely modded the Adaptec microcode used on the controller here.
Why do I know this?  I know it because I tried removing the 2940 card
from this machine and plugging it into another non-Compaq machine, and
the card
would not boot the disk in that system.  However, a non-Compaq-labeled
2940 card works fine in that system.

I had assumed the problem with this system was bad ram.  But, I think I
am going to try pulling that Quantum disk out of there and
using a different one.

>> This is EXACTLY how it is done in real life.
>
> Yes, I know how it's done in real life.

Then why did you say it was done differently in your earlier post?

Ted