Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 14:16:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        gemohler@tgn2.tgn.net
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, se@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive Mapping problem

(Don't know if Stefan is on -current, so quoted in full.)

 * Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 14:53:15 -0600 (CST)
 * From: Geoff Mohler <gemohler@tgn2.tgn.net>
 *
 * Hello:
 *
 * Here is the basic setup that I have here:
 * Tyan S1680S Tahoe, Pentium II 266, 128MB
 * Adaptec 2940UW pci slot 1, Seagate ST19171W   dos C:
 * Adaptec 2940UW pci slot 2, Seagate ST19171W   dos D:
 *
 * The problem is, that the machine sees "C:" as 80h, and when you install
 * FreeBSD, it writes the / partition and the other partitions destined for
 * SD0 to that wrong drive..DOS drive "D:", or 81h
 *
 * When you boot, the BIOS attempts to boot from 80h "C:", and of course
 * there is no filesystem there, and you get "No Operating System" error.
 *
 * Why are FreeBSD and the system BIOS mapping different drives to be the
 * boot drive?

I don't know why, Stefan will probably tell you (and even fix it) if
you send him a boot -v output.  In the meantime, you can probably get
around it by disabling the SCSI BIOS on the first Adaptec (so it won't
be registered as "80h", or "C:", or whatever).

Satoshi