Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 2002 10:21:24 +1000
From:      f3z <f3z@iprimus.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ghost user - no longer connected for 26 days

Hi People,

In my user list output (from 'w') I have the following user still in the
list:

 10:13AM  up 27 days, 18:28, 2 users, load averages: 0.67, 0.42, 0.05
 USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
 bourbon          p2       203.40.218.106   10May02 26days

And whats more, netstat, and sockstat both show that there is no connection
remaining from that IP address. This frequently happens but the user ends up
disapearing after a few days.

The process table appears to not even have an entry for that user, according
to ps -xau.

I also have it setup in my login.conf that sessiontime=3d for that user. I
am using 4.5-RELEAE (patched). Is this some sort of bug, or standard
behavior for lost connections.

FreeBSD dominoid.org 4.5-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE-p4 #4: Thu May  9
14:58:58 EST 2002     jj@dominoid.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/F3Z  i386

Regards,
Jacob Rhoden