Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 22:46:19 -0500
From:      "NOC" <noc@kulish.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ISO question (by proxy for a friend)

The following message is for a friend of mine.  He keeps getting a delivery
failed when sending to the list...

*****
Hi,

A friend of mine recently sent me a FreeBSD 4.3 CD.  I would like to make an
ISO
image with it and burn it (so that I can distribute it at my school).  But
I've
had problems with that.  Here's what I did:

# dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/burning/freebsd-4.3.iso
# cdrecord -v -dev=0,1,0 -speed=4 -data ~/burning/freebsd-4.3.iso

Then I tried mounting the freshly burned CD and it mounted just fine.  So I
decided to try the CD on another computer.  The install started (the CD was
bootable), I did my partitions, etc.  I switched to VT #2 (Ctrl-Alt-F2) to
make
su everything was installing OK.  After about one minute, I began to see
lots of
error messages, but they were basically the same:

/stand/cpio : invalid header : checksum error
/stand/cpio : warning skipped 23 bytes of junk
/stand/cpio : No such file or directory
/stand/cpio : invalid header : checksum error
/stand/cpio : warning skipped 27 bytes of junk
/stand/cpio : No such file or directory
/stand/cpio : invalid header : checksum error
/stand/cpio : warning skipped 31 bytes of junk
/stand/cpio : No such file or directory

So naturally, the install failed.  Now I was wondering if someone could help
me
to fix this issue, because I think FreeBSD is a very nice OS, and I'd like
distribute it.  Please, help me.
P.S: I cannot download the official ISO image since I'm on 56K.
*****

Thanks for your assistance...
CK