Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:15:58 +1100
From:      Christopher Vance <vance@aurema.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   mozilla, portupgrade

[Before asking here, I tried looking in the maillist archives, but
they've been down everytime I've looked in the last few days.]

I heard the noise a short while back about [bg]iconv, so I cvsup'd,
removed iconv and libiconv, remade them, and attempted to remake the
ports depending on them.

After this, I compiled mozilla from just-cvsup'ed sources, and when I
attempt to execute it I get

/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /ad4s5a/X11R6/lib/mozilla/components/libuconv.so: Undefined symbol "nl_langinfo"

I assume this means that it found the symbol at compile time, but the
necessary library isn't there at run time.

Does this mean I missed compiling something which depends on iconv and
which mozilla depends on?  Or something else?

Hints?

I wish portupgrade would do its stuff in dependency order, not just
(reverse) command line order.  I like the idea, and try to use it, but
sometimes I'm jkust forced to use make and do parts of it the old way.

[I'm about to cancel my CD subscription for -release.  I've recently
got ADSL, so downloads are quicker, and I'm sick of finding that
installing packages off the CD overwrites my installed packages with
older ones.  The packages I'm trying to upgrade are sometimes only on
CDs going back several versions, which makes the above problem even
worse.  Distfiles disappeared around 4.0.

So you either install only off CD, keeping strictly in release order,
or you compile everything yourself, which has its own excitements.

I haven't been able to upgrade gnomecontrolcenter, galeon, or koffice
for ages, even though the rest of gnome and kde seem (mostly?) okay,
even if extremely painful.

I fear the idea of moving /usr/local and /usr/X11R6 aside and remaking
all my ports from scratch, but that's looking more necessary every
time I look.  Either that or downgrade to whatever version of the CD
actually has installable KDE and GNOME on it.]

--
Christopher Vance