Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 13:13:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mpd-netgraph problem.

David Gilbert writes:
> I'm using mpd-netgraph to attempt to connect an encrypted tunnel.  It
> appears to connect (according to the messages), but the following is
> spit out for most packets I try to put down the tunnel:
>
> [vpn] LCP: rec'd Protocol Reject #1 link 0 (Opened)
> [vpn] LCP: protocol 0x0029 was rejected
> [vpn] LCP: rec'd Protocol Reject #2 link 0 (Opened)
> [vpn] LCP: protocol 0x00a1 was rejected
>
> (on the one end)
>
> [strikeppp] rec'd unexpected protocol 0x0029 on link -1, rejecting
> [strikeppp] rec'd unexpected protocol 0x00a1 on link -1, rejecting
> [strikeppp] rec'd unexpected protocol 0x0001 on link -1, rejecting
>
> (on the other)
>
> The second log also contains lines of the form:
>
> [strikeppp] rec'd proto 0xee53 on MP link! (ignoring)
> [strikeppp] rec'd proto 0xcc0d on MP link! (ignoring)
>
> ... any ideas?

This is usually because one side is sending encrypted traffic
that the other is thinking is not encrypted... i.e., it's a
side-effect of a negotiation problem.

I've just heard from another person with this problem. Check
your logs for something like ``"enable chap" required for MPPE''
on one side.

As a workaround, if you are doing CHAP in both directions, try
turning it off in one direction.

-Archie