Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 16:13:42 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        grobin@accessv.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-windows headaches

On Sat, Dec 20, 1997 at 01:50:19AM -0500, Geoffrey Robinson wrote:
> I'm a new Unix user and I've been spending the last few days working on
> my X-windows in FreeBSD 2.2.5. With the help of a few FBSD gurus I've
> gotten it running but its not quite in a usable state due to a few
> problems. The first one is that it seems to be stuck in 640x480
> resolution. I have a PCI Mach_64 video card with 1M VRAM and a Daewoo
> enhanced SVGA monitor so my hardware is capable of 1024x768 but I can't
> get it to 800x600. Greg Lehey went over my /etc/XF86Config and had me
> manually add 800x600 to the 'mode' lines but it didn't help.

I don't know what's gone wrong with your config, but I suspect that
something non-obvious has gone wrong.  I'd recommend you to re-run
xf86config from scratch with the knowledge you now have, and see if
that improves things.  If you have any questions about the meaning of
any of the questions, ask them.

Greg