Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:55:01 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Ken Thompson <spooky@cableone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting applications

Ken Thompson wrote:
> I have FreeBSD 5.0 installed and working pretty good but being so new to it I
> find myself a bit lost.
> I used the portinstall webmin command and it looked for all the world like it
> grabbed the package, compiled it and installed it. Now I can't get it to
> start and can't seem to find any executible or any command to make it start
> (service webmin start in Mandrake 9.0).. I have the same problem with Apache,
> it's not started during boot and I can't figure out how to get it started..
> Can someone rescue me??

Installed ports that are supposed to start at bootup have scripts in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d
Most ports will install an example script in that directory (such as
apache.sh.sample) and you have to copy it to apache.sh to get anything
to actually start.
Isn't webmin designed to run from inetd?  It's been a while since I've
used it so I could be wrong, but see if there's an example script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies