Date:      Sat, 5 Apr 1997 00:37:51 +0200
From:      "Jochim Kuebart" <joa@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        <dahc@CORENET.NET>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: getting stdin in more

Well,

This is due to piping: when more gets it input from a pipe, it displays it
right away without waiting fo rthe end of file. This is very useful when
|more'ing output of a program that takes long to run and has a
line-by-line-output, because you can see the output before the program is
finished. But it also creates the problem that more doesnt know the length
of the file it's getting piped and thus can't show a percentage. When you
press p (the key to display percentage info) more says "Don't know length
of file" - which can't be helped.

With less, you can scroll to the end of the file, then set the prompt style
to medium and you will have percentage info. Thus, sometimes less can be
more   :-) (It's old, I know, but I like it)

c u Jo

FreeBSD                                        <http://www.freebsd.org>;
Top breeders recommend it

Joachim Kuebart