Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:35:47 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jim Flournoy <bsdspaceman@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A missing hard drive + vinum questions

Your MUA wraps computer output and also wraps quoted text incorrectly.

On Tuesday, 16 October 2001 at  9:55:41 -0700, Jim Flournoy wrote:

> --- Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> On Monday, 15 October 2001 at  7:16:23 -0700, Jim
>> Flournoy wrote:
>>> Hello.  I have 2 4.5G scsi hard drives that I just installed
>>> FreeBSD 4.3 on.  Actually I assume its only installed on 1, cause
>>> when I type df -m it only shows me one of the hard drives.
>>
>> df only shows mounted file systems, whether or not they're on disk.
>>
>>> Anyway, can anyone else think of another test to see if the system
>>> recognized the other drive?
>>
>> 1.  Look in dmesg.  If you've lost the beginning, the dmesg as of
>>     boot time is in /var/run/dmesg.boot.
>> 2.  For SCSI disks only, use 'camcontrol devlist'.
>
> Thanks for the pointers.  Here is relevant output from
> dmesg.
>
> ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter> port 0xf400-0xf4ff mem 0x2000000-0x2000fff irq 10 at device 14.0 on pci0
> aic7870: Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
> ahc1: <Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter> irq 0 at device 15.0 on pci0
> ahc1: can't allocate register resources
> ahc1: Platform free
> device_probe_and_attach: ahc1 attach returned 12
>
> This seems to indicate that it can find both drives,

What gives you that idea?

> but that ahc1 is not part of the system, right?

No, it doesn't find the second drive.  It doesn't find a second host
adaptor.  I assume that it's on the second host adaptor.  Is that
correct?

> I apropos'ed 'filesystem' and found a function, VFS_START, that
> seems relevant to making a filesystem, but I doubt this is what I'm
> looking for.

Indeed.  Read the header:

VFS_START(9)           FreeBSD Kernel Developer's Manual          VFS_START(9)

That's a primitive used by the file system kernel code.  You probably
don't want to look at section 9 of the manual at all unless you're
hacking kernel code.

> I'm pretty sure that the second disk isn't mountable because
> camcontrol devlist returned this:
>
> <IBM DCHS04U 2929> at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)

OK, then it's not being recognized.  Being recognized doesn't make it
mountable.

> I'm still trying to digest the man pages for vinum.  I've looked in
> the handbook at
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/raid.html
>
> but it only describes ccd.  Right now I'm just trying to figure out
> exactly what state the second disk needs to be in, in order to use
> it for redundant storage.

One thing at a time.  First, you need:

1.  To find out why your host adaptor isn't being recognized.
2.  Confirm that your disk is recognized.
3.  Possibly put a Microsoft partition table on it.
4.  Partition it.
5.  Decide what you want to do with Vinum

Currently we're at (1).  It looks as if your BIOS can't find anywhere
to put the host adaptor.  Check your BIOS settings.  Also try booting
the system with only the second host adaptor (you'll have to reconnect
the cables, of course), and also just connecting both disks to the
same host adaptor.  You're not going to get any significant
performance improvement from the second host adaptor anyway.

> Can anyone make a suggestion about this or maybe another resource
> for this?

Well, maybe you should spend a little more time digesting the man
pages.  There is a document about Vinum in preparation, but it's no
shorter.  As vinum(8) says, you can also look at:

SEE ALSO
     strftime(3), vinum(4), disklabel(8), newfs(8)

     http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum.html,
     http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum-debugging.html.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.