Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:52:57 mst7mst
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS problems

On 28 Nov 00 at 16:24, Dima Dorfman wrote:

>Duke Normandin wrote:
>> Just lurking & learning.....;)
>>
>> Seems that I'm having a similar problem, I think. With "w" and "who" show
>> nothing in the FROM field except when I ftp/telnet from my win9x box I
>> see mandy or 10.0.0.2 in there. Is this correct behavior?
>
>When you're logged in from a local terminal, the host field is empty.
>This is correct behavior.  It'd be redundant to put 'localhost' in
>there since that's the only possible value if you're on a local
>terminal.

doh....I didn't see the forest for the trees! ;)

[snip]

>> /etc/resolv.conf is empty - I think that this is correct.
>
>If you're using DNS, it shouldn't be empty.  See resolver(5) for details.

My 3.3R box is networked to a win95 one -- but has no access to the
Internet. Should I at least have

domain 127.0.0.1

in it? Seems like I read something to that effect while I was searching
the FreeBSD mailing lists today. Later....

-duke
Calgary,Alberta, Canada