Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:45:05 -0300 (EST)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
Cc:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fxtv vs Stable

#define quoting(Randall Hopper)
// 1) Comment out the "|PROT_WRITE" in:
//
//     c->drv_buf = (TV_UINT8 *) mmap( (caddr_t)0, MAX_MMAP_BUF_SIZE,
//                                  PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, 0, c->fd, (off_t)0 );

Well, if you intend to mmap with PROT_WRITE, why do you open the device
with O_RDONLY ?  :)

IMHO, even root should not be able to mmap with PROT_WRITE and MAP_SHARED a
read only file.  Don't know why FreeBSD allows this.  (Hint, hint)

// 2) Comment out these few lines:
//
//         /*  If TDEC is on, may be a while before old trash gets written on  */
//         if ( c->fps != c->fps_max )
//             memset( c->drv_buf, '\0',
//                     g.w * g.h * c->pix_geom_list[ c->pix_geom_idx ].Bpp );

Why do you need to clear the buffer ?

If its a common procedure, then I agree with the new ioctl.  I may
even send the patches if nobody with commit privs has time to research
on this.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br