Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:41:42 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PE 1950 - Only seeing 3.2 gigs of ram

--------------enig343A95737B28C14A24E5A1A2

Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I put a fresh install of 6.1-RELEASE on a dell poweredge 1950 server.
> It's configured with 4 gigs of ram.
>=20
> However when I boot i get the following right before DMESG
>=20
> 786432k above 4GB ignored
>=20
> Which is strange, but then dmesg shows this
>=20
> real memory  =3D 3489300480 (3327 MB)
> avail memory =3D 3414659072 (3256 MB)
>=20
> Soo I'm at a bit of a loss.

You're using the 32-bit version, right? The design of x86 architecture
(i.e. it's not FreeBSD's problem) is such that a part of memory
addresses needs to be set aside for hardware uses, such as the PCI bus,
AGP memory & others. This manifests as "holes" in memory that are not
accessible to OS.

There are two possible solutions: you may try compiling a 32-bit kernel
with PAE (but not all drivers support PAE), or install the 64-bit
version of FreeBSD.