Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 1995 10:46:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem talking to an internal USRobotics Sportster Vi...

On Sat, 30 Dec 1995, Harlan Stenn wrote:

> I just got a USR Sportster Vi 28.8 voice/fax modem.
>
> I configured the card for COM3 (ttyd2) and IRQ5.  FreeBSD-2.1-STABLE (as
> of a couple of months ago) seems to find the card just fine (dmesg
> output is below).
>
> I've tried:
>
> 	cu -s {115000,57600,38400,19200,9600} -l /dev/ttyd2
>
> without success.  The "cu" just hangs and has to be killed from another
> window.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can get this beast to work will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks...

OK, I can see at least two problems.  It appears from your dmesg that
your have both a lpt0 and the soundblaster working on irq7.  That's not
possible, you can't share interrupts like that.  Secondly, from what you
say above, your modem is on COM3, right?  That's really a useless
description.  I'm not being sarcastic, I'm trying to tell you that you
have to set the sio numbers using two _real_ values: an irq, and an
ioaddr.  Go back to your documentation on your Sportster and find out
what ioaddr and irq are being used, then boot with the -c flag, and set
those values for sio2.

Keep in mind that you can't share interrupts.  It can be done, but only
on cards that have the interrupt sharing hardware onboard, because the AT
bus doesn't allow it.  My async card has 8 UARTS on it, and all of the
irqs are being shared oncard, but I still can't share interrupts outside
of that card.  Examine your system carefully, that chances are extremely
high that you are illegally sharing either an interrupt or an ioaddr.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;