Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:53:08 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
Cc:        mavery@mail.otherwhen.com, jsd@gamespot.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP T4000s Tape Drive problems

On 9 Jul 99, at 1:19, Mark Ovens wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 03:53:08PM -0700, The Clark Family wrote:

> > 	The HP stuff is 4mil isn't it? If so, DAT is 8mil right?
> > So HP isn't DAT its 4mil.

> DAT is 4mm. 8mm? are you sure you're not thinking of Exabyte?
> HP make DAT drives as well.

DAT is 4mm.  8mm is not DAT.  DAT is Digital Audio Tape.  It got
used by data processing types because it was (arguably) the first
(affordable) tape system designed to be a digital tape system.

8mm is video.

Also... just as when you say DLT you are usually saying "Quantum",
as far as I know all the 8mm data drives are made by ExaByte, no
matter whose name is on the faceplate.

> > My theory is, if your servers can't keep up a stream of data
> > sufficient to keep a DLT7000 streaming, then you need to rethink
> > how you build servers.

An interesting theory.  One that doesn't really survive a street test.

A key bottleneck is how fast SCSI drives can REALLY deliver data.
With a RAID, you can usually keep a 7000 series drive streaming.
With plain old SCSI drives, no.  Not in the real world.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
    A friend in need is a pest indeed.