Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 15:37:53 -0500
From:      "Paul F. Werkowski" <pw@snoopy.mv.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel Endeavor

You guys are going to love this one..
>From the folks that brought you the infamous FDIV bug.

We have a brandy new Pentium 120 Mhz system that our
customer (USAF) bought (from Austin Direct) to demo
our software. The motherboard, an Intel Endeavor I am
told, has three ISA slots in the lower left and a
CPU chip on the lower right positioned so that it
is directly in line with the slots, such that a full
length card in any slot will sit on top of the CPU.
OK so far. Now there is this nifty little heat sink
fan on top of the CPU to keep it from melting. The
fan protrudes 0.25 inch above the ISA slots such that
it is impossible to insert a full length card unless it
is notched to clear the fan! Naturally the critial
application card (a Spectrum Signal Processing
quad TMS320C31 board) is not so notched. Dang!

Is anyone aware of some PC AT spec that limits
the bottom dimension of a full width card? Did
the engineer who made the FPU get demoted to
motherboard design? Who is the bozo in this
case?

Paul
Paul Werkowski				ANSI Common Lisp on Intel?
pw@snoopy.mv.com			http://www.mv.com/users/pw/lisp