Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 2004 15:54:45 -0400
From:      Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
To:        Joshua Lokken <joshua@twobirds.us>
Cc:        "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson@wixb.com>
Subject:   Re: comparison to solaris9

> First, I am not an expert.  Second, I have little Solaris experience.
> have,however, run FreeBSD 5.2.1 and solaris9 x86 on the same hardware.
> I had never seen the nickname 'Slowlaris' before that, but I came to
> appreciate it ;)

Solaris advocates used to say that it was slow on uniprocessor systems.
  I think freebsd 5.2.1 through that out the window.  (because of SMP
kernels)

I haven't used solaris 9 x86, but i have seen *bsd vs solaris 7 and 8
on x86 hardware.  Solaris is a tad bit slow.  In fact, its not just
ia32 hardware.  I had an old sparc that came with solaris and i put
NetBSD on it.  NetBSD was easily twice as fast.  (not sparc64)  It was
a sun sparcstation IPC.  (25mhz)  The only advantage to using solaris
is you don't have to go through all the hoops to get a native jdk.  :)

Lucas Holt
Luke@FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)