Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:37:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      pgl@ti.cz
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hot Swappable Drives in FreeBSD

Hi,

I've been asked to evaluate an HP Netserver LC3 by my company, and I
want to put FreeBSD on it.

I can install it fine off of the floppies, but when I reboot, I get
"Read error" on the screen - not even the bit where you can choose a
kernel. I'm guessing this is something to do with the boot loader not
being installed properly. The drive it's using is a 9Gb SCSI supplied
by HP, and it's hot-swappable, ie I'm supposed to be able to take it
out and replace it whenever I like and the machine won't fail. There's
only one drive in there at the moment. When installing, it gets
recognised as da0.

Am I doing something wrong? I've been trying to get round this for
ages, and I can't find anything online about it (maybe I'm looking
in the wrong places?). Does anyone have any experience with this, or
can anyone tell me what to do? Am I just missing something obvious?
Do I need to have a fixed drive too boot off?

Thanks for your help.

--
Peter Lowe
System Administrator, Telenor Internet