Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 16:51:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        stenn@whimsy.udel.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0R and NTP, security changes in settimeofday

> xntp 3.4e is Horribly Ancient and massively buggy.  There is a port of
> ntp-4.0.73something in the ports collection, but the latest release
> (4.0.90h or so) should work fine out of the box.

Yeah, well, it came with the system...  which is why I posted my gripe
mainly at the FreeBSD lists.  :-)  But I thought the NTP people would
like to know that such a restriction is now being imposed by a modern
operating system.

Unfortunately, I maintain over a hundred systems, and running around to
custom-install NTP on each just isn't an option.

I don't think that it was completely unreasonable behaviour by NTP anyways,
since at the time, I believe that the securelevel restriction did not
exist.  However, today, I'd like to see the FreeBSD people either consider
a workaround, or upgrading and verifying that a newer NTP works properly.
If you're going to prevent the system from changing the clock backwards,
it seems only reasonable to make sure that the time daemon can live with
that.

Thanks for the note,

... Joe