Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 14:08:22 +1300
From:      kit <kit@hypostasis.com>
To:        Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: howto: cvs for minimum space freebsd server (Re: Upgrade problem)

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 06:19:04PM +1100, Jonathan Michaels wrote:

> i currently run (and have done so fro, er since v2.0.5-release)
> -release versions. now that the cost of freebsd release cds has
> gone through the roof for me it might be cheaper fo follow
> -stable.

USD prices are painful in this part of the world :(
> my question is, what would a be required (in teh cvs file) to
> keep a minimum workable (web, mail, news, nfs, and small office
> internet gateway). also, teh servers hard disk has minimum
> space available (350 mb all up).

nfs and gateway imply other machines on a lan,  so an alternative
approach is to have the source on one machine and install on to the other.

I build on one and do make installworld as per the handbook on the others
my total src is currently sitting at 357 Mb with 59Mb in the compile
subtree where the kernels live.

I do the same with the ports collection. nfs mount the ports directories
and install the approprite bits from there which give me ~ 190 Mb used
on the gateway with apache and squid installed, and some other junk.

Of course I could (should) strip that down by getting rid of more,
but I am not as cautious as perhaps I could be at home.

> second part of my question is, are thier any cvs servers in
> australia ... preferably teh east coast (sydney would be nice).

I use cvsup.au.freebsd.org generally.  about which dig says
cvsup.au.freebsd.org.   11h23m11s IN CNAME  www.au.freebsd.org.
www.au.freebsd.org.     11h23m11s IN A  129.78.100.245

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
au.freebsd.org.         11h23m11s IN NS  ns.physics.usyd.edu.au.
au.freebsd.org.         11h23m11s IN NS  who.cdrom.com.

which is University of Sydney I guess.
you might want to try
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cvsup.html
for other australian mirrors and try dig or nslookup to see
where they actually are.

--kit