Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:49:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Remko Lodder" <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        "Benjamin M. A'Lee" <bma+lists@subvert.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: http://www.freebsd.org/internal/fortunes.html rewording

On Tue, November 27, 2007 12:05 am, Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> In light of the "discussion" on other lists, I'd like to suggest the
> following
> clarification to the text of http://www.freebsd.org/internal/fortunes.html
>
> Replace:
>
> 	Examples of entries that should not usually be declared 'offensive':
>
> 	    * Hitler quotes.
>
> With:
>
> 	Examples of entries that should not usually be declared 'offensive':
>
> 	    * Hitler quotes, or quotes from any other controversial figure,
> 	      should not be declared offensive simply because they are
> 	      controversial, but only if the quote itself is offensive.
>
> Somebody else may be able to suggest a better wording; as I understand it,
> the
> point is that offensiveness of quotes should be judged on their own merit,
> not
> on the ethics/morality/politics/anything else of the quoted person; the
> page
> should reflect this (as it seems to be misunderstood to mean that all
> Hitler
> quotes are acceptable).
>
> --
> Benjamin A'Lee :: benjamin.alee@subvert.org.uk
> Subvert Technologies :: http://subvert.org.uk/

Hello,

Personally I do not see a real reason to update this text, I think it is
fine as it is now, and indeed everyone should decide for him or herself
whether these quotes are offensive or not, I think the world is already
full of the additions that you are proposing :-) lets keep it simple..

But that's just my opinion...

Thanks for discussing this and using the mailinglists to get this going.

Cheers
remko

--
/"\   Best regards,                      | remko@FreeBSD.org