Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2006 01:16:57 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ripping "enhanced" audio CDs

Mikhail Goriachev wrote:
> Mac Newbold wrote:
>> This has finally caused me enough grief that I'm going to ask about it
>> and see if there's something I'm doing wrong or some nice solution to
>> this really annyoing problem.
>>
>> I'm on a 5-STABLE box, currently 5.5-PRERELEASE. I use cdparanoia and
>> lame (via abcde) to rip my CDs to MP3. (This has happened to me with
>> other rippers, like cdda2wav, IIRC, also.) Whenever I try to rip an
>> "enhanced" CD that has one or more data tracks along with the audio
>> tracks, it crashes the computer when it gets near the enhanced tracks.
>> It has happened on a wide variety of CDs, all enhanced, and over a long
>> period of time. It is very repeatable. Even if I ask the ripper to rip
>> only the track prior to the enhanced track, it still crashes when it
>> gets about 90-95% through the track. Even if I try to break out at that
>> point, it still crashes the box.
>>
>> Jun 14 11:27:21 mybox kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_CD HARDWARE ERROR
>> asc=0x08 ascq=0x01 error=0
>> Jun 14 11:27:21 mybox kernel: acd0: FAILURE - READ_CD ILLEGAL REQUEST
>> asc=0x64 ascq=0x00 error=0
>> Jun 14 11:27:22 mybox last message repeated 11 times
>>
>> I know has happened to me on both CD-ROM/RW drives and on my atapicam
>> DVD+/-RW drive. I seem to remember it happening on 4-STABLE boxes too,
>> with widely different hardware (different mobo makers, chipsets, etc.)
>>
>> Does anyone know what causes this or what the fix is? Has anyone else
>> had this problem and found a suitable workaround?
>>
>> Right now the only workaround I've found is to start ripping the track,
>> and let it crash the computer, then encode the track when it boots back
>> up. Not a very happy workaround, as I have to fsck every time. :(
>>
>> Any help or suggestions you can offer are greatly appreciated!
>

> Hi,
>
> This is an anti-piracy feature included on some discs. Nowadays there
> are more and more protected discs around. Some of them even crash
> computers when loading. How silly is that? Programs like CloneCD can
> handle such things on Windows boxes. That is what I use after having
> long frustrated sessions with open-source tools.
>
> Cheers,
> Mikhail.

	Like Mikhail was mentioning, the DMCA appears to be in your way; many
companies thought it was necessary to copyright protect CDs and they
have accomplished that feat by added various protection features to CDs,
some of which are intentional CD track errors.
	The best way I've found with dealing with these types of issues is to
use a program like iTunes to rip the content, since it will happily
unlock the CD and encode in mp3 or mp4 format-which is fairly
lossless-and I can go from there.
	Best of luck with that,
- -Garrett